Finished! The bifecta of Bridget Jones. Liked them a normal amount, as I figured I would, since I feel the same way about the movies. Overall, I think the movies did a great job of adhering to the books. Small changes included cutting out a lot (had to be done, that Bridge just gets up to too many shenanigans!) and some character changes, most notably in Bridget’s mother and Mark Darcy (somehow I just could not see Colin Firth getting sidetracked by soccer or glancing pointedly at his watch).
So—what have I learned? Taking a page from Bridget herself, I decided to format this one in a sort of list-type thing.
10. Stay away from “alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobics, people with girlfriends or wives, misogynists, megalomaniacs, chauvinists, emotional fuckwits or freeloaders, perverts.” (direct quote)
9. Your mother will always be insane. But she might just be right about you.
8. Self-help books might always be a weakness, but when they are all you talk about, you sound stupid and people get annoyed with you.
7. Sometimes you have to grin and bear it through a humiliating job. But only until you reach the end of your rope and snap. Then you’ll get rehired after your supervisor is sacked.
6. Always write your Christmas cards while fairly drunk. Everyone will think you are quite amusing.
5. Watch out for bullets disguised as ballpoint pens and/or lipstick with your name on them.
4. While travelling internationally, probably don’t try hallucinogenic drugs.
3. Singletons will forever be superior to Smug Marrieds, even if that truth will always remain a secret.
2. Good friends are the best people in the world, if you are lucky enough to find them.
Which all sums up to
1. It’s okay to be a huge idiot sometimes, because it all works out in the end.
Comforting. But potentially the most dangerous untruth of them all. See also: 4 Pieces of Relationship Advice Movies Need to Stop Giving.
Consider this my PSA for the week.
0. When your mother takes you to get your colors done, that does not mean getting highlights. Google Search will help you solve the mystery.